How to access the SORA app
SORA is an online library service that allows you to borrow eBooks from your phone or tablet device. It will allow you to access thousands of titles from home.
Download the “SORA” app by Overdrive from the Google Play store or from the Apple App store.
- Once the app is downloaded, you will be presented with a screen that has multiple schools that are signed up to the SORA service. Scroll across until you find ‘The Marvell College’ and select the green tab labelled ‘This is my school’.
- The app will then ask you to sign into your school, you need to again find ‘The Marvell College’ on the pull-down bar and select it again.
- Underneath this, two tabs will appear labelled ‘Username Barcode’ and ‘Password’, you will each receive a unique 4-digit barcode that can be used to log-in to both SORA and the reading cloud system at school (which we use to check books in and out). You simply need to enter ‘TMC’ followed by your barcode for your username, your password is currently set to ‘MARVELL’. E.g. if your barcode is ‘1234’ then your username would be ‘TMC1234’.
Borrowing books/navigating the app:
On the app you will find a home page where you can view current loans/assignments on your account. When a book is borrowed, you have 14 days to renew/return your book. In order to do this:
- Click on your home tab and then find the heading ‘Loans’
- Select ‘See all loans’
- Here you can select ‘Open book’ to begin reading or select the book to view all other options.
- After clicking on the book, you can view details on the book which will allow you to see all books by the same author, books of the same genre or view all books in a series. In addition to this, there is the option to renew your book if it is unfinished after 14 days or return it once you have finished to select another book
In order to search for a book, select the binocular icon at the bottom of the screen. On this page books are broken down into different genres, books that are new are also displayed as well as an ‘Always available’ section if the books you are looking for is currently on loan. There are also literature study guides at the bottom of the page that cover a range of texts that you study at school.
If you are searching for a particular book, select the search tab at the top of the page and simply type in the title of the book you are looking for. If it is unavailable, you can place a hold on the book by selecting ‘Place hold’.
Selecting the library tab will allow you to view all of your current loans, books you have placed on hold as well as lists of books you have liked/disliked. You can also add preferences to the search page if you are unsure of what you would like to read. Books will be displayed underneath each tab and will display an ‘Options’ button next to them. Here you can return/renew books. If you are holding a book, you can view where you are in the queue, how long you will have to wait and how many of each title is available.
Finally, the achievements tab will allow you to change your name that will be viewed while using the app, your personal stats including your total reading time and the number of books you have borrowed. There are 20 available achievements in the app that you will unlock, the requirements for each can be viewed on this page.
If you have any queries, please contact your Year Team who will be happy to help.