Geography at AMC!
Students in Year 7 and 8 have 2 hours per week of Geography and are taught in mixed ability classes. At KS3, students complete a total of 5 formal assessments to monitor their progress. At the end of Year 7 and 8, students will complete an end of year assessment which includes content from the full academic year in order to prepare them for linear examinations at KS4. Students will develop their knowledge of the location of globally significant places, understand the processes that give rise to key human and physical features and become competent in geographical skills. Our aim is to provide the geographical knowledge, skills and understanding ready for the GCSE course which starts in Year 9.
Year 7 curriculum:
In Year 7 students cover the following topics: Maps and the UK, Map skills, Rivers, Africa, Weather and Climate and Madagascar.
Year 8 curriculum:
In Year 8 students cover the following topics: Hazards, Development, The Middle East, Dangerous Places, Urbanisation and China and Glaciation.
GCSE Geography at AMC follows the AQA A specification.
The course offers:
• Engaging and topical content
• A stimulating blend of traditional and contemporary Geography to suit students of all abilities
• The study of physical and human Geography in discrete, self-contained topic areas
• A focus on physical processes and factors that produce diverse and dynamic landscapes over time.
• Physical Geography - Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Tsunamis, Rivers and Coasts.
• Human Geography - Population, Tourism, Urban Change.
Study of this course will give students the opportunity to develop:
• Communication skills
• Graphical and cartographical skills
• Technological skills including ICT and GIS
• Interpersonal skills through debate and discussion
• Literacy and numeracy skills
• Problem-solving skills
• Entrepreneurial skills and awareness of career possibilities.
There are 2 exams-
Unit 1- Physical paper - 1 hr 30, 37.5%
Unit 2- Human paper - 1 hr 30, 37.5%
This course also has 25 per cent controlled assessment, the topic area covered at Andrew Marvell being Tourism. This involves a field trip to a tourist location, based around the question set by the exam board.
Geography staff at Andrew Marvell
Miss G Barley- Lead Practitioner
Miss G Blanchard - Head of Humanities/ Assistant Headteacher
Miss A Wiles - Geography Teacher and Head of Year.